Friday, September 21, 2007

David Bridgewater meets James Lipton...OK,so not really; he just answers his questions...well, Bernard Pivot's questions...(oops...another long title)

Posted by Billy Christopher Maupin

Extra! Extra! Just look at the headlines! (A Sondheim lyric from Gypsy...get it? The Mamma Rose's to the right? Anyone? No one? OK.)

We have our latest installment from the cast of our production of The Member of the Wedding. (Opening tonight! I'm so excited!)

David Bridgewater, most recently seen in Neil Simon's The Odd Couple at Barksdale Theatre at Hanover Tavern, has joined in the fun and filled out the Bernard Pivot/James Lipton questionairre.

So here goes:

1. What is your favorite word?
Home. Make no mistake; there are all kinds of homes. You can be at home on stage, with a good book, on a basketball court, in the mountains or in the arms of a lover. It’s the feeling of complete contentment. That feeling of, “Thank God I’m here.”
(It really brings up an image of Diana Ross singing "Home" in The Wiz, doesn't it? No? OK...well...anyway...on with David's answers.)

2. What is your least favorite word?
Goodbye.

3. What turns you on [creatively, spiritually or emotionally]?
There is nothing more powerful than passion. It doesn’t matter if you are acting, teaching children, exercising, writing a book, building a table or bagging groceries. If you are passionate and focused, that is quite the turn on.

4. What turns you off?
Condescending people. How many degrees you hold or how much money you have makes no difference. Treat everyone with respect. No matter if you are speaking with a senator or a janitor, be respectful of the person. Ignorance does not mean a lack of education. I’ve known a great many ignorant people with degrees on their walls.

5. What sound or noise do you love?
There is a sigh that’s made. You can hear dogs make it often. It’s a sigh that says, “I am so content, safe and happy right now.” When my daughters are tired at the end of a long day, they lay in my arms, they breathe in deep and sigh out slow. There is simply no better sound.

6. What sound or noise do you hate?
(Sorry, you kids!) I hate plastic, synthesized, brainless music or would-be poets screaming a rhyme to a programmed beat and calling it “music”. I like instruments. I like singing. I don’t want robots making my music.

7. What is your favorite curse word? (Have at it. I obviously won't post it for real, but in some approved somewhat censored fashion)
Ah, so many cuss words, so little time.
I have two. Neither one is all that exciting or colorful, but…
G**D*****. It has a great pop. And it’s versatile:
“G**D***** that hurts!!” or
“Did you see that girl wearing the thing, with the thing and those things? G**D*****!!!”

I’m also fond of JACKA$$. “You stupid JACKA$$!” Ya can’t beat that one either.

8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
Again, so many… A counselor or therapist would be closest to my heart. A writer. A bottleneck blues musician. A wildlife photographer.

9. What profession would you not like to do?
Anything corporate. I hate wearing a tie and I hate the obsession of money.

10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Two things:
“Where the hell have you been!?”
“I know, Dave. It’s okay. You did your best. Come on in.”

--David Bridgewater

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to give a shout out to one of the kindest, generous and talented people I have had the pleasure to work with.

What beautiful sentiments. I love the sound you spoke of - the contented sigh - priceless:)

Hope all is well with you and your loved ones.

Peace, Pam Good