Wednesday, November 14, 2007

An Hilarious Actress in a Side-Splitting Comedy Gives the Slapdown to "The Questionnaire"

Posted by Billy Christopher Maupin

Next Friday, in Barksdale Theatre's Signature Season, the side-splitting comedy, Moonlight and Magnolias by Ron Hutchinson, opens The play is set in David O. Selznik's office, as he locks Ben Hecht, Victor Fleming, and himself in the office for five days so that they can rewrite the ENTIRE SCREENPLAY for Gone With the Wind. Along with David Bridgewater, Joe Pabst, and Scott Wichmann, Joy Williams is featured as Mr. Selznik's secretary, Mrs. Poppenghul.

Joy is side-splitting hilarious in real life (and also recently in Swift Creek Mill's production of Urinetown the Musical, Barefoot in the Park at Barksdale Theatre at Hanover Tavern, and my absolute favorite-Lady 1 in Paul Deiss' adaptation of The Magic Flute that Theatre IV presented at Barksdale Theatre at Willow Lawn a couple of years ago...I saw all but two performances of that production as the light board operator and in every single performance I could not help but have a huge grin if not laughing out loud at Joy-side note: I really hope she doesn't mind me saying all this-...). I can't hardly wait to see her and the rest of the cast in this hysterical play.

So...Joy has filled out "The Questionnaire," as I have begun to call it. This questionairre originated with Bernard Pivot before James Lipton adapted it slightly for his show, Inside the Actor's Studio that still plays on Bravo. Each hour-long show, Mr. Lipton has an actor on and talks to them about many things. At the end of the show, he asks them the questions you'll find below (with the lovely and incredibly talented Joy Williams' answers)...

1. What is your favorite word?
yes

2. What is your least favorite word?
no

3. What turns you on [creatively, spiritually or emotionally]?
My husband, of course! :)

Creatively, I like being given the freedom to play during rehearsals and come up with things on my own that may not be inherent in the script. Playing equals laughter, and laughter equals fun, and it's so much easier to be creative when things are fun! And, boy, do I love to laugh!!

Spiritually and emotionally, kindness turns me on. I'm very, very fortunate to have the most amazing friends in my life. The people who are my best buds make me a better person by being around them. It's great to have hero's....people who you aspire to be more like. I have quite a few of them!!

4. What turns you off?
Negativity. Pissy attitudes. Drama-filled rehearsals. People hurting people.
5. What sound or noise do you love?
The sound of laughter...particularly my kids!!!

6. What sound or noise do you hate?
HORNS HONKING!!!!!!!!!!!



7. What is your favorite curse word?
The one that comes out of my mouth most often is s***. I'm not sure it's my favorite, but (when my kids aren't around) I say it.

8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
I think I'd like to attempt fashion design, or costume design. I'd also love to do garden designs. I'm a nut for flowers! Anyone that's been to our house will testify to that. I'd love to help out for special olympics, too. I love kids!

9. What profession would you not like to do?
Accounting. I've never balanced my checkbook, much to my husband's dismay! (But, I've also never been overdrawn!!)

10. If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?
You did a good job.

Be sure to catch Joy in Moonlight and Magnolias by Ron Hutchinson, directed by Associate Artistic Director Steve Perigard, playing at Barksdale Theatre at Willow Lawn November 23- January 20.

No comments: