Sunday, October 16, 2011

Part 3 - Sister Maggie from "Doubt" Explains It All for You

Well, we promised this post for Monday, but since the Sunday post isn't quite ready yet, we have Maggie 3 one day earlier than expected. This is the conclusion of our interview with Maggie Roop, one of Richmond's finest 20-something/30-something actors. Maggie will be continuing to perform in the new comedy, Becky's New Car, for another three weekends at Hanover Tavern. Don't miss her!

Q - Just a few more questions, Maggie, and then we'll set you free. You're married to one of Richmond's finest scenic artists. Are there any advantages to having a partner "in the business"? Any disadvantages?

A - I don't think Adam's work in the theatre has really affected mine in a positive or negative way. Except that we are especially invested and supportive of one another because we are both working in the same field and community.

Q - We at Barksdale know that we greatly benefit from constructive suggestions. If you could change one thing about Barksdale Theatre, or Richmond theatre in general, what would it be?

A - Well, this is probably going to make me sound like a super idealistic hippie flower child...but I think that we all need to support each other more. There's enough drama in theatre already! This is probably another unavoidable downside to being a theatre artist but sometimes I wish that we could all just get along. I don't mean to say that anything terrible is happening interpersonally in our theatre world here (and this is not directed at any one person or theatre by any means) but I think an extra pinch of sensitivity and tact would make our recipe for success as a community almost perfect!! Harmony and understanding, man.

Q - Sympathy and trust abounding. What is the most unusual, funniest or scariest thing that has ever happened to you on stage?

A - I thought of so many answers right away that I had to call my friend Audra (of the Honaker variety) to help me remember the best one and here it is: First Baptist of Ivy Gap (five of the six cast members are pictured to the left) was directed by Bruce Miller at Hanover Tavern last year. In one scene Jan Guarino's character jokingly smacked Ali Thibodeau (I'm laughing as I tell the story) on the forehead, in the style of a charismatic evangelist, and then Ali would fall backwards into my arms. One night Jan accidentally put a little more force than usual into said smack, or Ali's head was in the wrong place--I don't know; these things happen. Anyway, the smack left a visible, hand-shaped mark on Ali's forehead. When Ali turned around and I noticed this mark I completely fell to pieces. Which I guess wasn't very helpful, but ... Ali was reeling a little from the experience, and I spent the remainder of the very long scene trying and failing to recover from the fit of laughter and tears. I would say this falls under "unusual", "funny" AND "scary." Phew.

Q - What about your work as an actress may come as a surprise to others who aren't "in the business"?

A - Well, I never think I'm any good. It's true that I'm proud of my work and encourage people to come to my performances, but I'm also never convinced that I am doing very well. I think this is the conflict all artists experience. If I felt like I had really done a bang-up job and patted myself on the back, then I wouldn't have anywhere to go from there. It is the constant desire to build and improve that keeps me auditioning and keeps me hard at work.

No comments: