Saturday, January 19, 2008

Rumpelstiltskin's Daughter Grows a Bit of Magic Herself with the New and "Improved"(?) Questionnaire

Posted by Billy Christopher Maupin

Guinea pig number two turns out to be the actress playing the title character in Theatre IV's AMERICAN PREMIERE production of Rumpelstitskin's Daughter. Gigi Galiffa is a 17-year-old senior at Atlee High School. 17!!! Playing the title character!!!!! And her singing the song "Secret of Gold"!!!!!!! I would buy a ticket just to hear her sing this song. Even if there weren't a gazillion other fantastic things about this show, Gigi singing this song is...yeah...the first time I heard her sing it was during a run-through and I was sitting off-stage talking to Thomas and apparently dropped out mid-sentence to listen. It's really stunning. Aside from being a great talent, she's so much fun! Such a fun cast we have!

There's even more stuff about the rehearsal process, etc. on Theatre IV's blog now. So be sure to keep checking in there as well! http://www.theatreiv.blogspot.com/

So, without further ado...(where are the timpanis when you need them?)...Gigi's questionnaire!

Hometown: I’ve lived in the Ville my whole life (aka Mechanicsville, VA).

Audition song: For Rumpelstiltskin’s Daughter I sang “A Place Called Home” from A Christmas Carol. I recently sang “Home” from Maury Yeston’s Phantom for another audition…. Hopefully singing about home is my good luck charm =].

Favorite word: Serendipity: an aptitude for making desirable discoveries by accident. I like the movie, too.

First show ever saw: The first show I can really recall seeing was The Best Christmas Pageant Ever when I was in 4th grade. And where else but Theatre IV? Then 4 years later, I actually got to be in the same show at Theatre IV. Now it’s about 4 years later and I’m in Rumpelstiltskin’s Daughter, the first show I’ve been in at Theatre IV since then. Funny how things work out, huh?

Favorite musical: Holy cow. Where do I start? If I had to pick one, it would probably be Hairspray.

Most played song on your iPod (or CD player): Most likely something by Michael Buble or the Candyskins.

Last book you read: I read The Kite Runner after I got it for Christmas. It was one of the most powerful books I’ve ever read and I definitely recommend it. Now I’m reading Dracula, but I’ll probably have to set that aside to read Pride and Prejudice (one of my all-time favorites) for English class.

Sound or noise you love: Waves crashing at the beach. A racquet hitting a tennis ball.

Must-see TV show: The Biggest Loser. They change people’s lives on that show! I love it!

Last good movie you saw: Shakespeare in Love…*sigh*

Worst job you ever had: Well seeing as I’ve only had one job…it wasn’t bad. I was a hostess at the Grapevine II in the Short Pump area.

First stage kiss: Two years ago in Guys and Dolls. I played Sarah Brown and my friend who played Sky Masterson is about 5834956289305732 feet tall. Haha. It was interesting.

Worst costume ever: I could tell you about several dance costumes, but here’s one of the worst. Picture a black biker shorts unitard with cap-sleeves. Oh, and it gets better…a huge, red, sequin-bordered, velveteen, broken heart covering the entire surface area of my third grade stomach and chest. And we mustn’t forget the accessories: bright red bobby socks worn with pink ballet shoes and a red and silver sequined headband worn hippie-style. Song, you ask? "Don’t Go Breaking My Heart."

No comments: