Friday, April 27, 2007

Hail and Farewell to

Our sold out production of Smoke on the Mountain closes this Saturday evening. I’m going to be sorry to see it go. Along with Brooklyn Boy at Barksdale Willow Lawn (another show that I loved), Smoke was our entry in this year’s Acts of Faith Festival. I couldn’t have had more fun directing (and watching) this small but heartwarming musical.

Every time you pick or direct a show, it says a little bit about you. I like what Smoke says about me. It connects two important parts of my life—my life as a theatre professional and my life as a person of faith.

I enjoy being an elder, liturgist and Sunday School teacher at Bon Air Presbyterian Church. But like many Presbyterians, I’m not particularly comfortable wearing my religion on my sleeve. To tell the truth, I’m feeling a little uncomfortable now writing this blog entry.

Religion is a personal thing to me; my faith is something I hold on to with a quiet humility. Smoke on the Mountain is not quiet, but it’s certainly humble. It takes place in a small Southern Baptist church in 1938. The central message of the play, to me, is Jesus’ teaching that we should love and accept each other rather than judge and exclude.

In Smoke, Eric Williams is really wonderful as a recovering alcoholic who has recently been released from prison. In Act II, he delivers a moving monologue about how Jesus shared the loaves and fishes with a multitude of men including unlikely congregants like himself. That monologue always chokes me up.

If there’s one thing I’m sure about in my faith journey, it’s this. God loves and extends his grace equally to all of us. Those Christians who choose to judge and shun rather than embrace their fellow men are missing the point.

Smoke was my breath of fresh air. I thank so much the wonderful cast: Emily Cole Bitz, Julie Fulcher, David Janeski, Billy Christopher Maupin, Drew Perkins, Aly Wepplo and Eric Williams. They lit up the stage every night with their open, loving hearts—and their great talents.

I thank our inspired designers: Bennett Fidlow, Heather Hogg, Terrie Powers and David Powers. Their church in the valley by the wildwood was a sanctuary of good will in these troubling times. More than once in the past couple of weeks have I recalled my favorite lyric from the show.

Soft as the voice of an angel breathing a lesson unheard
Hope with a gentle persuasion whispers a comforting word
Wait till the darkness is over, wait till the tempest is done
Hope for the sunshine tomorrow after the darkness is gone
Whispering hope, oh how welcome thy voice
Making my heart in it’s sorrow rejoice

I rejoice in Smoke on the Mountain. Thanks to artists and audiences alike for this opportunity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was a Broadway-Under-the-Stars subscriber for years, or as we now shamefully call it, Broadway-Under-the-Stairs. I had my nose in the air about "local" theater, thinking that I was seeing real Broadway shows while other foolish Richmonders were seeing local amateur nights. Then Broadway-Under-Whatever went belly up, and Barksdale was generous enough to offer all of us battered subscribers free tickets. So my sister and I went to see Smoke on the Mountain, expecting it to be second rate.

Well, chalk one up for an old dog who's now learned a new trick. Smoke on the Mountain at Barksdale was the best thing we've seen in years. We could actually hear every word and see every facial expression. It was a theater experience like I've never had before. I was so caught up in the action. And everyone was SOOOO good.

Now I know I've been a fool all these years. I'm a Barksdale convert and ready to try other local theaters also.

Thanks. I've been stupid for too long. And stuck up. Hopefully I'll make it up to you as the seasons go on.